[#English Grammar] Present Perfect & Paragraph Structure

Present Perfect & Paragraph Structure: 

We should focuses on the usage of "present perfect" and "paragraph structure". The lecture explains the three ways to use present perfect tense: unfinished time periods, past actions with current effects, and actions/situations without time words. 

The lecture will introduces the concept of paragraphs and emphasizes the importance of a topic sentence that is specific and gives a clear idea of what the paragraph is about.

- Present perfect tense has three uses: unfinished time periods, past actions with current effects, and actions/situations without time words.

- Paragraphs should have a topic sentence that is specific and gives a clear idea of what the paragraph is about.


Present Perfect

1. Unfinished time periods
 : This week(Last week is finished, but This week in not finished), This year, Today, 

Ex) University Case:
I have attended University for [number] years
(not finished yet)
I attended university for four years
(Finished... a long time ago)

+I have attended university(cause unfinished), I have attended(finished case)
+Same as Semester : I have had five assignment at this semester.

2. Past actions, but still TRUE now
: I broken my arm (It's affect is still true now)
: I taken my medicine (The medicine is still in me now)
: I lost my phone (I still lost my phone now)

Actions, situations in the past WITHOUT time words!
When is not important
I have been to Austria (unfinished Case)
I have been to Austria last year / in 2009 / in primary school (X)

3. Actions and Situations, without time words

Never use “in [month/year/season]” or “last [day/month/etc]” or any finished [time] with present perfect:

(wrong case): I have studied English in kindergarten / from 2001 to 2010.
I have seen him in 2009 X
We have been to Italy last year X
He has lost it yesterday X
I have studied German in High School         X



What is a Paragraph?

- A Paragraph is a block of information.

- A Paragraph has has all the sentences in the paragraph are about ONE idea

- A Paragraph, it should have to has a TOPIC SENTENCE first

- A Paragraph, it has a CONCLUDING SECTENCE last

- A Paragraph has an INDENT (which is pressing Tab Key)


So, The basic structure of paragraph should be like,

Topic sentence - supporting ideas - concluding sentence

Topic sentence:
- Tells your reader Specifically what the paragraph is about.
- Give a clear idea that is supported in the paragraph
- It is the first sentence in the paragraph

Topic sentences always have two parts, which is Topic and Controlling Idea.
It names the topic and then limits it to a specific area that will be discussed in a single paragraph.

ex.
Communication with colleagues requires sensitivity and understanding. (= Topic & supporting structure)
Improving online social networks can help professionals communicate.




Comments